Triage Guide for Referrals
All referrals will be triaged by Penny Blomfield. The following is a guide as to when your patient may be given an appointment.
• Newly confirmed/highly suspicious of gynaecological cancer – see within 1 week
• Women with malignant or possibly malignant ascites – contact Penny directly as these women need to be investigated promptly
• Complex ovarian masses – see 1 to 2 weeks
A CT scan of abdomen and pelvis is frequently useful in addition to a pelvic ultrasound.
• Clinically urgent due to symptoms – see within 1 to 2 weeks
• Complex benign – see within 4 weeks
• Uncomplicated benign – next available apt
• High grade abnormal cervical cytology with 2-4 weeks. If the malignancy suggested on cervical cytology – see within 1 week
If you have major concerns about a particular patient please contact Penny directly to expedite the woman’s assessment.
Penny has trained as a gynaecologist before training as a gynaecological oncologist, however considers herself no longer particularly skilled at performing surgery for gynaecological prolapse or assessing female urinary incontinence.