TEACHING, RESEARCH AND GRANTS
National, State Committees and Advisory Positions
2016- Chair of Australian Society of Gynaecological Oncologists
2015- Member of ASCCP (Australian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology) Committee of Management
• Secretary of ASCCP (Australian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology) Committee of Management
• Australian Screening Advisory Committee, Safety Monitoring Committee Australian Government. Department of Health and Ageing. RANZCOG representative and representative of NHMRC Guideline Review Group
• Member of ASCCP (Australian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology) Committee of Management
• Member of “Data Management Group”. National Gynaecologic Cancer Centre.
• Chair of working group National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre, “Follow-up of women with ovarian cancer”
• Executive member of NHMRC Guideline Review Group Review Group. Management of Women with Screen Detected Abnormalities.
• Chair of the High grade Working Party, NHMRC Guideline Review Group Review Group. Management of Women with Screen Detected Abnormalities.
• Member of Expert Advisory Group, Ovarian Cancer Program, National Breast Cancer Centre.
• Member of Advisory Board, CSL Pharmaceuticals, regarding Gardasil (HPV vaccine for the prevention of cervical cancer)
2005- RANZCOG Training and accreditation committee, Tasmania
2008- Tasmanian Genetic Services Planning Group (TCGS).
Educator Activities (meetings and workshops)
2004 to 2013: Examiner RANZCOG Gynaecologic Oncology Committee
Facilitator: Anatomy of Complications Workshops Perth WA (2005-2009)
Convenor: Australian Society Gynaecologic Oncologists (ASGO) Annual Meeting Hobart 2008.
Convenor: Australian Society Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ASCCP) Scientific Meeting, Hobart 2011
Convenor: AGES Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Workshop, Hobart 2015
Member of Organising and Scientific Committee: Australian Society Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ASCCP) Scientific Meeting, Sydney, 2017.
Convenor: Australian Society Gynaecologic Oncologists (ASGO) Annual Scientific Meeting, Launceston and Cradle Mountain, 2016.
Applied surgical course UTAS- Multiple occasions: Most recent January 2015
LLETZ course Royal Hobart Hospital 2013-2016
ASCCP Lecturer: Education courses 2011-2017
ASCCP Lecturer: Treatment courses 2012-2015
Doctorate of Medicine:
I submitted a medical doctorate entitled ‘The Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cervical Neoplasia’ to the University of London in August 1994 for consideration of the degree of M.D. This was granted in July 1995.
Clinical PhD Supervisor:
Victoria Jayde investigated “The experience of ovarian cancer for women, partners and adult children”. Co-supervisor Hon Assoc Prof M. Boughton, The Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, The University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales, 2010-2015.
• Associate Editor ANZJOG
• Member of ANZ Gynaecological Oncology Trials Group.
• Member of the Independent Safety Monitoring Committee for the COMPASS Pilot Study and Compass Main Trial in Australia and the use of Primary HPV testing for cervical screening – a Service evaluation project in New Zealand. Compass Trial is a RCT investigating the use of primary HPV testing for cervical screening in Australia.
• Member of Data Monitoring Committee for PRINCESS TRIAL New Zealand investigating the management of young women (<25 years) with CIN2.
• Member of Trial Management Committee for PARAGON study (ANZGOG study).
• Member of Research Advisory Committee, ANZ Gynaecological Oncology Trials Group.
Epidemiological and original research:
• Co Investigator: Repeat Conisation of the cervix: A state-wide perspective
• Principal Investigator: Examining the outcomes of women being managed for high grade cervical dysplasia at the Royal Hobart Hospital
• Principal Investigator: Tasmanian and Western Australian Audit investigating the management of women presenting with adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS) on cervical cytology, possible invasion on cervical cytology and those diagnosed with microinvasive squamous disease.
• A prospective audit of sentinel node biopsy for vulval carcinoma in Australia and New Zealand
• Local Principal Investigator: The OPAL (Ovarian cancer, Prognosis and Lifestyle)
– Completed Research
• Associate Investigator: Does Palliative Chemotherapy Improve Symptoms in Women with Recurrent Ovarian Cancer?
• Principal Investigator: Audit of management of women presenting with ACIS on cervical cytology in Tasmania 1994-2013
• Principal Investigator: A Feasibility Study of the Role of Sentinel Node Detection in the management of patients with apparent early stage endometrial cancer
• Principal Investigator: The Tasmanian Gynaecological & Anal Neoplasia study
• Associate Investigator: The oncogenic risk of HPV in children and adolescents: risk factors for early-onset cervical carcinoma and high-grade cervical dysplasia
• Associate Investigator: Ovarian Cancer Patterns of Care Survey
• Local Principal Investigator, Australian National Endometrial Cancer Study: Molecular Epidemiology of Endometrial Cancer, Tasmania. Funded by Cancer Council of Tasmania.
• Local Principal Investigator, Australian Ovarian Cancer Study, Tasmania. Funded by the Cancer Council of Tasmania.
• Local Principal Investigator. A prospective randomised Phase lll trial of carboplatin/ gemcitabine/ bevacizumab vs. carboplatin/ pegylated liposomal doxorubicin/ bevacizumab in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer
• Local Co-investigator: A Phase III Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Pazonpanib Montherapy Versus Placebo in Women Who Have not progressed after First Line Chemotherapy for Epithelial Ovarian, Fallopian Tube, or Primary Peritoneal Cancer (AGO-OVAR16/VEG110655)
• Local Principal Investigator: PARAGON- Phase II study of aromatase inhibitors in women with potentially hormone responsive recurrent/metastatic gynaecological neoplasms: ANZGOG 0903
• Local Principal Investigator: PORTEC3 Randomised Phase III Trial Comparing Concurrent Chemoradiation and Adjuvant Chemotherapy with Pelvic Radiation Alone in High Risk and Advanced Stage Endometrial Carcinoma.
• Local Co-investigator: OVAR16- trial.
• Associate Investigator: A randomised, two-arm, multi-centre, Gynaecologic Cancer InterGroup trial of adding bevacizumab to standard chemotherapy (carboplatin and paclitaxel) in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer
• Local Associate Investigator: SCOTROC 4 A Prospective, Multicentre, Randomised Trial of Carboplatin Flat Dosing Vs Intapatient Dose Escalation in First Line Chemotherapy of Ovarian, Fallopian Tube and Primary Peritoneal Cancers
• Local Principal investigator: TRIPOD, Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for optimally debulked advanced ovarian cancer
• Local Co-investigator: ICON 7 trial for first line therapy of advanced epithelial ovarian malignancy
• Local Associate Investigator: CALYPSO: A Multi-National, Randomised, Phase III, GCIG Intergroup Study Comparing Pegylated Liposomal Doxorubicin (CAELYX) and Carboplatin vs. Paclitaxel and Carboplatin in Patients with Epithelial Ovarian Cancer in Late Relapse (>6 months)
• Co-investigator Scotroch4 and Calypso trials for second line therapy for epithelial ovarian cancer.
• Local Principal Investigator, GOG182 Randomised trial of first line chemotherapy for epithelial ovarian cancer,
• Co investigator: SMART trial: multi-centre randomised survival study of monoclonal antibody radio immunotherapy for epithelial ovarian cancer.
• Co investigator-Scottish randomised trial in ovarian cancer, Paclitaxel Carboplatin vs. Docetaxel-Carboplatin in stage 1c-IV ovarian cancer.
Successful grant applications
2012 The OPAL (Ovarian cancer, Prognosis and Lifestyle) Study NHMRC Project Grant (APP1025142) Improving outcomes from ovarian cancer: building the evidence to help women help themselves: Webb PM, deFazio A, Nagle CM, Friedlander M, Grant P, Obermair A(CIs). AI’s: Beesley V, Bleier J, Blomfield P, Brand A, Chenevix-TrenchG, Davies A, Davis A, Francis J, Leung Y, Livingstone K, Nattress K,Nicklin J, O’Neill H, Oehler M, Quinn M, Williams M: $1,757,000.
2009-2011. Cancer Australia Project Grant (#552468). Improving Outcomes for Women with Endometrial Cancer: Follow-up, Survival and Quality of Life. P Webb, A Spurdle, A Obermair, M Janda, C Nagle, M Quinn, M Davy, M Oehler, A Brand, P Blomfield, Y Leung, L McQuire. $200,000 p.a.
2007. Cancer Council Tasmania (#457636). Molecular Epidemiology of Endometrial Cancer – Addition of Tasmania. P Blomfield, A Spurdle, PM Webb. $40,500
2003-2005 Outcome Data Collection for Gynaecological Cancers in Tasmania
P I Blomfield. $15,000
2005 Project Grant 403031 The Cancer Council of Tasmania
Molecular Epidemiology of Endometrial Cancer – Addition of Tasmania
P Blomfield, A Spurdle, P Webb, D Purdie.
$40,500 for 2006
2005 Project Grant 4000281. Molecular epidemiology of Ovarian Cancer. The Australian National Ovarian Study national clinical Follow-up Core
5 year (2006-2010), $830,000
Professor David Bowtell, Dr Anna DeFazio, A/Pr Michael Friedlander, Dr Amanda Spurdle, Dr Karen Blyth, Dr Penelope Blomfield, Dr Marg Davy, A/Prof Paul Harnett, Dr Nik Zeps
2004 Cancer Council Multi-State Research Grant (Vic, Qld, SA, Tas)
Bowtell, deFazio, Blomfield, Zeps, Gertig, Friedlander, Harnett, Wyld, Davy
Molecular epidemiology of ovarian cancer: The Australian Ovarian Cancer Study – Clinical Follow-up Core
Amount: 2005, $207,536; 2006, $139,986, 2007, $139,986 , Amount Tasmania- $30,850, 2005
2003 Cancer Council Multi-State Research Grant (WA, Tas)
Bowtell, deFazio, Webb, Blomfield, Zeps, Gertig, Friedlander, Harnett, Wyld, Whiteman, Davy,
Molecular epidemiology of ovarian cancer: Australian Ovarian Cancer Study – WA, Tas and a National Clinical Follow-up Core (182)
Amount Tasmania- $30,000, 2004
2002 Cancer Council Multi-State Research Grant (NSW, Qld, Vic, SA, WA, Tas)
Bowtell, deFazio, Wyld, Whiteman, Gertig, Friedlander, Harnett, Blomfield, Davy, Zeps
Molecular epidemiology of ovarian cancer: Australian Ovarian Cancer Study – WA, Tas and a National Clinical Follow-up Core
Amount Tasmania- $35,000, 2003
2001 The Cancer Council of Tasmania
The Australian Ovarian Cancer Study –Tasmania.
P Blomfield, D Bowtell, A g]Green, G Chenevix-Trench, P Webb, D Gertig, A Defazio
Education and Training Grant Royal Hobart Hospital
P Blomfield $3000, 2002